Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My escape, my luxury, my addiction

I subscribe to exactly 121 RSS feeds. I don't read every feed everyday but I have my favorites. It takes me roughly 45 minutes to cover most of my feeds. It is something I look forward to do in the morning right after I check my email (but this almost never happens).

The reality is that these 45 minutes is a luxury because there is always something I need to do. So I squeeze in some time at my desk during lunch (20 minutes) and then finish the rest when everyone in the house is asleep.

My feeds are a mixture of library related blogs, technology blogs and hmm, this is kind of interesting blogs. I usually don't let more than 2 days go by without checking my reader. Even on vacation, I would fire up my laptop at night to get my feed fix.

It would be nice if I had one less thing to do in my day but I like reading my feeds. I do find roughly half of what I read useful for work but for the most part, I love the knowing and the finding out part. I guess that is why I love being a librarian.

No comments: