Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I still use my paper calendar

I have experimented with online calendars before and I always end up using my monthly dayrunner printed calendar. At work, I set up the staff calendar within Blackboard so I know there is value in having a calendar that is accessible anytime. And yet, for me I like my print calendar.

Like a security blanket, I lug this thing everywhere. I like that each box looks crammed with things to do. Makes me feel important. I attended a seminar once given by an inventor. An audience member asked him how he became so successful. He simply said to keep your calendar filled with interesting things and not leave a "box" empty. At the time, my calendar listed only appointments with the pediatrician. Wake-up call. There was nothing really there for me. Ever since then, I keep my boxes filled up; some work and family related items but some things just for me...

3 comments:

Barbara L. Slavin said...

I go back and forth with calendars. I do the Zoho calendar (part of Zoho Business) along with my paper calendar. The same goes for "to do" lists; I use paper and also Zoho's Organizer. On paper calendars I pencil in a lot of tentative "might do" events, like who's playing at the Natick Center for the Arts or Professor Noletti's films, so paper is better at keeping me aware of events that don't require advance commitment or outlay of money.

Millie Gonzalez said...

Barbara,
Do you find that Zoho is better than Google docs?

Jennifer Koerber said...

An excellent question, and one that we might have more of an answer to after next week. (insert foreshadowing music here)